Our work on the Mernda Rail Extension
As part of our continued work with VIC Rail on Victoria’s Big Build we worked on the Mernda Rail Extension in 2017-18. The $600 million project saw three new stations and eight-kilometres of tracks laid to connect Mernda with the South Morang rail line. Since opening in August 2018 over 8,000 people use the Mernda rail extension daily.
EPH’s work on Mernda Rail Extension Project included both plant hire and truck hire. We provided materials haulage services, mobilising our truck and dog fleet to ensure the work was done on time and on budget. The Mernda Rail Extension was more than just new track, it has created a new town centre in Mernda as well. In total the project included:
- Approximately eight kilometres of new dual rail line between South Morang Station and Mernda
- Five grade separations, guaranteeing no level crossings will be created
- A new premium station in Mernda, integrated into the proposed Mernda Town Centre
- An additional station located near Marymede Catholic College and one near Hawkstowe Parade
- Car parking, bicycle storage and bus facilities at each station
- Construction of new walking and cycling paths in areas to extend and link into existing paths and future networks, such as the Yan Yean Trail
The Mernda Rail Extension project is part of the much larger rail infrastructure project run by the Level Crossing Removal Authority. The project is aimed at not only removing level crossings but updating the entire Melbourne train system. By being able to connect the city better by rail, more people are able to access the city and with this comes jobs and opportunities. During the construction of just the Mernda Rail Extension 1,200 jobs were created and another 1,800 have been created in other industries and business.
It doesn’t matter if your project is worth millions of dollars or just a few thousand, we’re ready, geared up, kitted out, fully trained, and all fuelled up for any project that comes our way. To get started, give us a call today on 1300 037 437.
Call us today for a free quote:
For Melbourne and Victoria call: (03) 8797 5551
For Sydney and New South Wales call: (02) 9158 6049
For Brisbane and Queensland call: (07) 3483 0210